Are fluvial geomorphologists made or born?

I lost my Mom a year ago.

Going through her papers today I found this; eight-year-old me writing my best friend Corby Wiggins; in 1966.  We lived in Hope, Arkansas

My Dad was taking me to camp on the Red River southwest of Hope.  I wondered if the river might "wash our bridge down if it rises."

I've spent the last 20 or so years of my life working on that question!

The Red River southwest of Hope, Arkansas.
Dear Corby,
My Father is going to buy a
camper this friday and we
are going to Red River to camp.
I wish you could come to and
maybe you can! and down by the
river the[re] is a island of pure
sand and on it you can have
loads of fun.  and on it also are
little pools of water cool and
clear and good to swim in and
there is a good spot down by the
river thats great for fishing.  and
hiking but the place I like the best
is the island we might build a
bridge across the narrow creek that runs
between it but if we did the river
might wash it down when is rises
but it would be fun to build it
anyway.  good-by for now.

your friend
Steve








Labels: , ,